Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Bathing Beauties (part 2)

I've been having fun sewing in a nice cool air conditioned house.   Took the girls to the community pool today for this photo shoot.   It was so hot I thought the girls and I would melt.   Bathing suits are addicting and I have gone a bit overboard.   I am quickly working my way through the 100+ yards of FOE (fold over elastic) and I am getting ready to order more.   Whew....who knew.   I had always hesitated in working with Lycra/spandex and foe.   I just shake my head wondering how I could have waited so long and the lesson learned....don't hesitate, just do it. 

Let me just get this out now.   I tend to be a perfectionist....no I am a perfectionist!  The foe did cause me some issues at first but I developed a few simple tricks that work for me (99.9% of you would not have/want to do this).

1)  With a fabric pen:   I draw a line along the center fold line of the FOE.   When I'm sewing it's hard for these eyes to see the center fold line and the line I draw makes it so easy.

2)  I stitch the elastic twice.   First time....pinning the fabric to the elastic with the edge of the fabric along my drawn line....then stitch it in place with a "stretch stitch".    Then of course I fold the elastic and stitch it in place using a 4.0 zigzag stitch.         I know it's a two step process.....but it works for me and a lot better than what I did on my first 1/2 dz.  suits......are you ready!   I hand basted the elastic on which was very time consuming and then had to remove my basting stitches once the elastic was attached.    So..."baby steps" are good.   Maybe someday I will be able to do it in one pass.




3 comments:

  1. Thank you for the great tips on using fold-over elastic. I just bought my first 1-yd package yesterday, and can't wait to try it out on an AG tank top. I have a feeling I will be buying many more yards of this elastic in the near future!

    The swimsuits you made are adorable! Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where did you purchase the FOE?

    ReplyDelete
  3. AirPets is expert in transporting pet to any location outside India. We have been relocating pets to various countries. Visit on Pet Relocation Agency in
    Mumbai | Pet Moving Services in Mumbai | Pet Transport Service in Mumbai

    ReplyDelete